Online Teaching and Other Training Opportunities
A variety of webinars will be provided throughout the summer to support and enhance online teaching. Webinars will be 75-minutes with some availability for facilitated Q&A at the end; webinars will be offered once and recorded sessions will be available for those unable to attend. Recording links will be published on this page following the live sessions.
Please register for the development opportunities using the registration links below.
- Strategies for Facilitating Your Online Course: In this session, participants will be introduced to the tools and strategies used to facilitate learning in the online classroom. Practices such as establishing instructor presence, providing effective feedback, and monitoring asynchronous learning will be discussed, providing faculty with the confidence they need to begin facilitating their online courses.
- Creating Media for Your Online Course: In this session, participants will learn about options for creating and leveraging media elements for learning in the online environment, including DIY video, screencasts, narrated lectures, and graphics. We will also cover best practices and resources for copyright and accessibility when incorporating media into your course.
- Tuesday, July 14, 3:00pm ET | Register now
- Managing Your Blackboard Course: In this session, participants will learn how to leverage Blackboard tools to effectively organize their courses, communicate with students, analyze student behavior and performance, and provide rich opportunities for discussion and collaboration.
- Thursday, July 23, 11:00am ET | Register now
- Designing Compelling Synchronous Sessions: This session focuses on remote synchronous sessions with students. Participants will learn about different ways to leverage synchronous sessions to maximize student engagement and learning, including best practices for preparing for, facilitating, and following up on a synchronous session.
- Monday, August 3, 2:00pm ET | Register now
Online Teaching Strategies Course
- The Online Teaching Strategies incorporates evidence-based online practices in a facilitated, 4-week session. By the end of this course, those new to the online teaching environment should feel better prepared and confident to enter the world of online teaching. Those with some experience online should come away with tips and learning strategies to improve student learning and retention.
- Please register for the Online Teaching Strategies Course by using the registration link below. Note that registration is limited and enrollment will be allowed on a first-come first-serve basis.
- This training experience includes:
- Overview of online learning research-based principles on how students learn
- Review of the community of inquiry model and its relevance to the online learning environment
- Strategies for establishing presence and keeping students motivated, providing effective feedback, monitoring and assessing learning, and facilitating online discussions
- Suggestions for synchronous learning
- Management techniques to achieve work/life balance, dealing with challenge situations, and legal/ethical issues
- Collaboration and group discussions with other faculty
- July 13 – August 9 Registration is full for this session
- August 10 – September 6