Notice: We are monitoring the Covid-19 situation as it evolves. At this time, the award ceremony has been postponed until further notice. We will continue to post any changes to the ceremony here. Please visit www2.gmu.edu/coronavirus for University updates.
Outstanding teaching is an integral part of Mason’s mission and is deserving of significant recognition. The Teaching Excellence Awards are both institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgment of the significant work that faculty members devote to course planning and preparation; curriculum development; and innovative teaching, advising, and undergraduate and graduate mentoring. We urge you to take this opportunity to recognize teaching excellence at Mason; please nominate someone you view as an outstanding educator for this honor.
The George Mason University Teaching Excellence Awards are open to all full-time faculty members who have completed at least 3 years of full-time teaching at George Mason. As part of this process, Stearns Center offers a Teaching Excellence Award with special recognition in General Education and one with special recognition in High Impact Learning. Nominees for the General Education recognition should have taught general education courses at least three of the last six years; nominations for the High Impact Learning recognition should have taught courses aligned with Mason Impact guidelines in three of the past five years. Nominations from students, faculty members, or administrators are welcome. Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis; any nominations submitted after the deadline will be considered for the following awards cycle.
If you have questions or would like further information, please contact contact us.
Nomination Deadline: October 7.
Method: Nominations can be brief. Please write 2-3 paragraphs explaining why you believe this person should be considered for a teaching award.
Send Nominations to: The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions will be evaluated according to the following guidelines:
For more assistance, please see our suggestions on Documenting Your Teaching.
The Selection Process:
- Nominations will be accepted through October 7.
- Nominees will provide a 5-page teaching vita and a 5-page teaching statement to the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning by early November.
- The Committee will select and announce finalists in mid-December.
- Finalists will provide a detailed teaching portfolio by early February.
- The Teaching Excellence Award winners will be selected by early April.
- A ceremony will honor the Teaching Excellence Award winners in April. Winners receive a $3000 stipend (subject to taxes). Teachers of Distinction will also be recognized at this ceremony