Outstanding teaching is an integral part of Mason’s mission and is deserving of significant recognition. The Teaching Excellence Awards are both institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgment of the significant work that faculty members devote to course planning and preparation; curriculum development; and innovative teaching, advising, and undergraduate and graduate mentoring. We urge you to take this opportunity to recognize teaching excellence at Mason; please nominate someone you view as an outstanding educator for this honor.
The George Mason University Teaching Excellence Awards are open to all full-time faculty members who have already completed at least 3 years of full-time teaching at George Mason. As part of this process, Stearns Center offers a Teaching Excellence Award with special recognition in General Education and one with special recognition in High Impact Learning. Nominees for the General Education recognition should have taught general education courses at least three of the last six years; nominations for the High Impact Learning recognition should have taught courses aligned with Mason Impact guidelines in three of the past five years. Nominations from students, faculty members, or administrators are welcome. Nominations are accepted on a rolling basis; any nominations submitted after the deadline will be considered for the following awards cycle.
Your nomination should include a paragraph or two to address how the faculty member meets some of the following criteria for teaching excellence:
- Growth and development as an educator
- Student and learner engagement
- Assessment of student learning and achievement
- Teaching effectiveness and impact
If you have questions or would like further information, please contact us.
2023 Teaching Excellence Nomination Deadline: October 7th
Method: Please use our online form for your nomination.
Submissions will be evaluated according to the following guidelines:
For more assistance, please see our suggestions on Documenting Your Teaching.
The Selection Process:
- Nominations are accepted in October.
- Nominees will provide a 5-page teaching vita and a 5-page teaching statement to the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning by early November.
- The Committee will select and announce finalists in mid-December.
- Finalists will provide a detailed teaching portfolio by early February.
- The Teaching Excellence Award winners will be selected by early April.
- Our recognition ceremony for all our award winners, either in-person or online, will be in April. Winners receive a stipend as well as formal recognition; Teachers of Distinction will also be recognized at this ceremony.