Write. Focus. Build Community.
Need to get started or make headway on a writing project? Would you enjoy the opportunity to meet with other Mason faculty to discuss your writing and your current projects? Would you find it helpful to work in a small group of other dedicated writers, to discuss the goals you set for yourself as a writer, and the ways you are organizing your project(s)?
This retreat offers uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, a supportive and collegial community of peers, and sessions on the habits of mind and resources that support writing productivity. Join us to connect with other faculty writers on campus, work in small groups around individual needs, and reflect on the routines that will support your success.
NOTE: Writing retreats occur during early January (applications due in December) and late May (applications due in May).
Summer Retreat: Tuesday, May 29, through Thursday, May 31, 2018
APPLY NOW! The Summer 2018 Writing Retreat will be held on May 29-31, 2018. Apply here by May 4, 2018.
Each participant is asked to:
- Participate in all days (9:00am-5:00pm) of the retreat;
- Choose a specific project to focus on during those three days;
- Commit to producing the best possible work during the retreat;
- Work in supportive small groups on individual projects;
- Listen to, encourage, and productively challenge other faculty writers in attendance.
Lunches and space to write (privately and with groups) will be provided.
Participation in this event is limited; we will select no more than 20 faculty members to participate. Please note that should slots begin to fill, preference will be given to faculty in their first three years at Mason.
To apply, please complete our application that will ask you for the following information:
- Your name, position, and department
- A description of your project and project status (i.e., early planning, drafting, ready for feedback, etc.)
- A description of how the Writing Retreat would help you move forward with your project.
- A statement that verifies that, should your application be accepted, you would be able to commit to participating in all of the days of the retreat (9:00am to 5:00pm).
- Your meal preference (e.g., non-vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free).
Deadline: Friday, May 4, 2018.
Questions? Please email the retreat facilitators.