The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning is pleased to announce the Online Teaching Excellence Award (OTEA), sponsored by Digital Learning. The OTEA is both institutional recognition and a monetary acknowledgment of the significant work that Mason faculty members devote to innovative online course planning and teaching. The Stearns Center encourages Mason students, faculty members, and administrators to take this opportunity to recognize online teaching excellence by nominating a faculty member for this special honor!
The deadline for nominations are December 5, 2018
The OTEA is open to all instructional faculty at Mason (adjuncts, term, tenure-track, and tenured faculty) who have taught at least one fully online course during the past academic year, and who also have at least four semesters of teaching fully online courses at Mason. The semesters of online teaching do not need to be consecutive, and faculty also do not need to teach exclusively online to be eligible for the OTEA.
Past winners of teaching awards (Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence) or faculty of online course awards (Office of Digital Learning) may be nominated and considered for the OTEA so long as they meet eligibility requirements.
Nominations should be in the form of a 2-3 paragraph support letter that briefly addresses how the faculty member meets the criteria for online teaching excellence. Please indicate the following criteria in which your nominee demonstrates the strongest evidence for online teaching excellence, and describe the specific evidence in your letter.
- Growth and development as an online educator
- Online student and learner engagement
- Assessment of online student learning and achievement
- Online teaching effectiveness and impact
Submissions will be evaluated according to the following guidelines:
For more assistance, please see our suggestions on Documenting Your Teaching.
The Selection Process:
- Nominations will be accepted through Wednesdaysday, December 5, 2018 – Closed
- Finalists will provide a condensed teaching portfolio by Monday, February 11, 2019.
- The Online Teaching Excellence Award winners will be selected by early April 2019.
- A ceremony will honor the 2019 Online Teaching Excellence Award winners in April 2019. Winners receive a stipend (subject to taxes).
If you have questions or would like further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-6200.