The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning is pleased to invite application from George Mason University faculty members for review of their online courses. These reviews will provide faculty members with feedback on the quality, design, and delivery of their online courses.
- Formative feedback from experts on online course design and delivery
- Registration for virtual attendance to one Online Learning Consortium (OLC) conference or registration for one online OLC workshop
- Letter from the Stearns Center acknowledging participation in the online course portfolio review process
- Competitive selection for the Stearns Center’s Online Course Excellence Award (includes $500 stipend) based on overall course quality
- Competitive selection for the Blackboard Exemplary Course Program Achievement Review
- Course must have been taught 100% online in Blackboard LMS in the past year at Mason. The online course section to be reviewed must be a completed course (i.e., the Blackboard section is not an active course site)
- Faculty member must plan to teach the online course again at Mason in the next two years
- Course can be an undergraduate or a graduate course offered at Mason
- Full-time and adjunct faculty who have developed and taught online courses at Mason are eligible to apply (Please note: full-time faculty will be given priority in participation selection)
- Faculty who teach multiple online courses may submit an application for only one course
- Faculty may not submit an online course for which they received an online course development stipend (from Digital Learning or Distance Education at Mason).
- Faculty who participated in previous Open Call Portfolio Reviews are not eligible to submit the same course for review again
Application deadline: Monday, February 18, 2019
Please apply through online application portal at: https://goo.gl/forms/FJ8NF1LRu1rSb87G2
Timeline and Participation
The Stearns Center Digital Learning will select 10-15 applications for online course reviews. Those who are selected to participate must (1) attend an Online Course Review orientation (webinar), (2) submit required Online Course Review documents, (3) grant reviewers access to the Blackboard course, and (4) submit an action plan.
Deadline to submit Application
|Monday February 18, 2019|
Select applicants will be invited to participate
|Friday, February 22, 2019|
|Online Course Review Orientation Session (webinar)||
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
|Deadline to submit Online Course Review Documents||
Monday March 18, 2019
Receipt of Completed Online Course Reviews from Reviewers
|Monday April 21, 2019|
Deadline to submit Action Plan
Tuesday May 28, 2019
|Action Plan feedback sent to faculty participants||
Friday June 7, 2019
Online Course Review Documents
Participants must prepare course review documents that include (a) an online course summary sheet, (b) an online course self-assessment, and (c) a faculty reflection. Thoughtful preparation of course review documents typically requires three to five hours. The Stearns Center will provide training and guidance for preparing and submitting the Online Course Review documents.
Online Course Review documents must be submitted by Monday, March 18, 2019
Online Course Review documents and the Blackboard course will be reviewed by the Stearns Center review team using common evaluation criteria for evidence of quality in online course design and online teaching. The rubric focuses on evidence of quality in course design, interaction & collaboration, instructor presence, assessment and feedback, learning support, and accessibility.
Following receipt of the completed review report, the faculty will consult with the Stearns Center team to create an action plan. The purpose of an action plan is to identify the steps and resources needed for achieving a faculty member’s specific and focused goals for online course improvement. The faculty is able to create and use the plan however they wish. Action items may relate to reviewer recommendations, student evaluations, online course self-assessment, faculty reflection, or a combination of the four.
The action plan must be submitted by Tuesday, May 28, 2019
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 703-993-6200